Tuesday, March 2, 2010

March 2nd 2010 Running Blog

"Remember the second most important thing to choosing the right shoe, is choosing the left one" - Unknown

Well, I did go out and buy those shoes where they do all kinds of testing on your feet and when it was all said and done I found out I'm a trail runner :-) I knew I didn't like running on the road but I'm so glad God confirmed by creating me with high arches!

Let me clarify by explaining what a man who represented Poland in xcountry explained to me:

He said I have a high arch which makes sense that my feet go into the kind of pain it goes into when I didn't tie my shoes tight. I was creating a support for my arch unknowingly. I was tying them so tight I'd get little scabs on the top of the foot! He showed me which muscles and tendons counter connect with the bones and why if one part doesn't have enough support it will cause pain in a totally different part of the foot or leg ~ isn't that crazy??
Also, like any muscle when you work it, it creates little tears and heals at night. Well, cuz my arch is high, my feet relax while I sleep and the muscles heal in a relaxed state. So when I stand on them in the morning and walk around, its like tearing them again. He showed me exercises I could do to heal it! There is actually a sock for that, you sleep with it. Its basically a sock but at the toes there is elastic and you snap to your knee so its bending you feet and toes in a flex position all night....he showed me enough exercises where I thought I'll try those first, I can't imagine sleeping like that :-/ He was saying after I run I need to stretch out my arches...isn't that interesting?

Apparently, my arch is not seen on the monitor because it isn't deep. But because of the things I told him he physically checked my arches and they can be deceiving like I have flat feet but I don't, isn't that weird? He said everything else about your foot is good. The way I stand and everything is equal and there is no extremes. So, now he got me trail running shoes and it has supports to the back of my arch and so I'm going to be breaking them in tomorrow :-) He said I should not be running on the roads, its not good for me ~ I knew it! He said the races I need to be in are trail races and those aren't very often and usually start as 10ks so, I'm no where near that, a goal I need to work on :-)

Janet who knows how my runs are said that if a do a road race its ok because I don't do them frequently enough to cause the kind of issues he is talking about, I agree. Once a month is vastly different than running daily on the road. I feel like I have a wealth of wisdom.

Boling Park
3.0 Miles Ran

No comments:

Post a Comment