Monday, September 27, 2010

September 27th 2010 Running Blog

"Don't limit yourself. Many people limit themselves to what they think they can do. You can go as far as your mind lets you. What you believe, you can achieve." - Mary Kay Ash, Founder of Mary Kay Cosmetics, Inc.

I just needed to know what 13.1 miles felt like. For some reason I needed to know if it was in me somewhere? I've put myself on a program to work up to it but I wasn't satisfied till I knew that I could do it or not. Well, I DID!!! YEAH!!! I didn't walk either! It took me 2:58:08 to finish! I am very proud of that because I know I tried the very hardest ever! I can honestly look back and know I could have not gone any faster, I did my very very best!!

If you do everything perfectly and were going to get a graded on eating, resting etc. all the stuff you read about, I would get a big fat "F" What was different that I never did before was on mile number four and eight I ate a gel pack. I didn't feel any shock of energy or anything but I finished those miles and I know they had something to do with that :-)

I didn't run on an easy course. It had rained all day the day before so I ran on muddy grass, gravel, sand and slipped up here and there. Then I ran up into the High School where I knew three miles were marked but getting there I ran a slow gradual hill, going down hill was a wonderful though. And on mile number five and ten I had to visit the porta potty (of course) I have got to find a way to not do that.

Outside that I just kept going and going but at mile number nine it got really hard. Like mentally I had to focus not walking. Lord have mercy....I kept saying to myself, "You're almost done" over and over. Pretty much all the way to the last 100 yards. It was tough. I thought oh, I'll pray for people! I couldn't, I just had to keep putting one foot in front of the other, like keep moving forward. I couldn't think about anything other than that. I'm telling you it was hard. I was soooo glad to finish that last mile!

This is really bad! I had to hurry up and get in the car to pick up Kailah and drive her to the horse stables for her to volunteer and didn't stretch or cool down really. HOLY CRAP!! My legs about two minutes into driving started cramping really really bad!! The girls met me with yogurt, wheat turkey sandwich, I had another gel pack and ibuprofen. They drove me there and back because they only have their permits and I was stretching in the seat. This all helped alot. You would not believe how much that hurt. I was really amazed about it. When I walked and bent over my knee's and bones popped ~ told ya I'd get a big fat "F"!

I'm fine now, I took a shower cuz I had mud all over me. Relaxed on the couch a bit. I'm really tight. I know tomorrow I will rest for sure!!

I'm gonna try to take picture of the fall leaves falling all around the trail when you run. It was so beautiful. I was in such a kind environment. All the older guys who walk everyday would ask as I passed them, "How many today?" I'd say 13 and they would cheer! When I passed them they yelled out encouraging words! One guy gave me a high five as I passed then later ran with me! YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH THAT HELPED!! I love them!! I'm gonna make them a gift of something like cookies! Some people are just fine without that.....me....its a pep in my step, wind at my back and a smile in my heart :-)

For my first 13.1 miles, it was a wonderful experience but I'm glad I don't have to do it for another 9 weeks! One thing I realize when I train I need to get used to doing long miles on Sundays starting at 8am. Thats when my race is. So, I need to take care of business before that and prep the day before. So my body understands this is what you will do till the day you die!! haha j/j :-)

Boling Park/Cherokee High
13.1 Miles!!

No comments:

Post a Comment